Sunday, August 19, 2012

Calculating Weighted Averages-First Day of School Activity



I don't know about you, but every year, my 9th graders have a hard time with the concept of weighted averages.  Even though we go over the fact that their homework is weighted 15%, quizzes 25% and tests 60%, they still have trouble understanding why they can make a 100 on "everything" and still have a 64 average. 

This year, I have decided to do a short activity on weighted averages on the first day of school.  I plan to let them use their cell phones to calculate the averages and the acitivity is designed to be completed in groups with very little teacher assistance.  I plan on spending no more than 15 minutes on this activity.  If they don't finish it, the back will be their first homework assignment.


Here is the activity if you'd like to modify it for your needs.


1 comment:

Mrs. S said...

Ahhh! Can I give this assignment to upset parents when they complain that their child's grade is wrong?!

What a great idea. I definitely need to do a better job explaining it to my 8th grade algebra kiddos this year.

Follow Me!