Saturday, February 5, 2011

This is the Snow That Shut Down San Antone



What a treat! Friday morning I awakened to a 1/2 inch of snow and learned that school had been cancelled for the day. Before you begin to criticize us South Texans for being weenies in the face of a mere dusting of snow, I must tell you that there was a least another 1/2 inch of ice under that snow that made driving completely impossible.

Most of my students have never seen snow. This was a major event for them. I believe if you gave most of them the choice to go to Disneyland or spend the morning playing in snow, they would choose the snow every time.

Being from West Texas, I am used to a couple of good snows each winter. Not too much to hate it, but enough to experience the joy of waking up to find your world covered under 6 inches of white fluffiness. I've made sleds for my children out of just about everything you can think of. Laundry baskets, cookie sheets, and old tires. Snow days are some of my children's best childhood memories.

Mild winters is one of the many things that drew my husband and I to South Texas but I would be lying if I said I didn't miss waking up to a white wonderland ever now and then.

2 comments:

Pissedoffteacher said...

My sister lives in Houston and I saw city crippled when I went down last year during 1/2 snow. My sympathies. Hope it warms up soon.

Shireen Dadmehr said...

Pretty pictures. I had started out for work/school early without listening to the news, and by the time I was down our steep scary icy hill and heard that our district was closed, then I didn't feel safe trying to go back up the icy hill. So a nice long leisurely breakfast out for me!

Hope you enjoyed your day.

Follow Me!