Monday, August 23, 2010

Meeting Your Blogger Friends in Person


Jonathan at jd2718 was one of the first bloggers to welcome me into the edublogging community when I first began writing my blog. I believe he was the first blogger to link to my blog and even went so far as to recommend Math Tales From the Spring to others. It was very humbling because up to that point, I had no idea that anyone actually read my blog. I was using it as a journaling tool to help me work out things in my head both professionally and in my personal life.

This weekend, I got the privilege of meeting Jonathan while he was in this area doing some volunteer union work. I was so excited to get to meet my blogging friend and show him our neck of the woods. It was great to have him make the short drive over to Paradise, Texas from San Antonio. I tried my best to show Jonathan what life is like in a small Hill Country town. I enjoyed taking him to the places my friends and I like to hang out. I wish I could have shown him more but the heat was brutal and there is only so much you can do with a heat index of 107!


I had a blast and I hope he did too. Hopefully this is just the beginning of meeting my other blogger pals. If you are ever in the San Antonio area, let me know. I love to show people around, or at the very least give you a few pointers on things to do.

3 comments:

Pissedoffteacher said...

I know how you feel. I felt the same way when I met Ricochet in her home town and when Benevolent Narcissism drove up to Banff to meet us on vacation last year. I've met NYC bloggers at conferences and at pickets and at barbecues and I have the pleasure of working with my all time favorite. I am sure he had as good a time as you did. Perhaps one day we will end up in the same city too. I am sorry it didn't work out for us this year. I was looking forward to showing you around my favorite city.

Anonymous said...

It was a blast. And a lot of fun. Food, music, recreation, dinner, company... You were such a welcoming host, and in such an amazing town.

(your post doesn't say that you invited me back, and I brought a couple of friends... more good times!)

And one day you will make it to NYC. You know there's a few of us would like to show you some of our town, too.

By the way, was I really the first to link to you? I think I just liked that you were really talking about teaching. And I'm glad this weekend that we had a few chances to talk shop, although not enough to bore all the others to tears.

Jonathan jd2718

Amy zimmer said...

I read you and love your love of teaching and kids. I too, love teaching teenagers, love giving them the tools to be smart, and giving them the encouragement to challenge themselves. I teach math at Windsor High School in Northern California.

Your blog is lovely,

Amy Zimmer

Follow Me!