Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Graphing Inequalities in Two Variables Card Sort

I don't know why, but graphing linear inequalities in two variables is one of the hardest topics for Algebra I students to wrap their minds around. Even when you think they've finally got it, you will revisit it weeks later only to find most the students are completely clueless about the process. This year, after teaching the topic we will be doing a journal entry into our interactive notebooks. This entry will be in the form of a card sort. Students will be given a mat with the inequality symbols in each quadrant and a sheet of inequality graphs. The students will cut out the cards and sort them onto the appropriate place on the mat. After checking their answers, they will glue or tape them down and then place the entire graphic organizer into their interactive binder. If you would like to download the Graphing Inequalities Card Sort, feel free!

3 comments:

Shireen Dadmehr said...

Thanks for your videos of "interactive notebooks". You've inspired me to try something different this year. I haven't been happy lately with the state of affairs of the students' notebooks, and I think this will be a step in the right direction.

druin said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I have pinned these on pinterest so I don't forget them when the time comes this fall! :)

Karen said...

THANK YOU! My kiddos struggled so much with this topic the past year, and I think this will help big time!

Follow Me!