Thursday, August 18, 2011

Ask Three Before Me

Are you ever exhausted by the end of the day by the endless questions asked of you? I'm not talking about questions having to do with content. I'm talking about things like, "Do we have homework today?", "Do we have a quiz today?", "What's the date today (even though it is written on the board)?, "What's for lunch today?", "Why do we have to learn this today?" And on and on and on.

I was joking around with some of my colleagues about the exhaustion you feel at the end of the day and how you just don't even feel like talking for the first hour or so when you get home. For me, I usually just sink into a chair with a nice cold beverage and veg out by reading blogs and catching up on Facebook. Unfortunately, if you have children to take care of, this just isn't possible.

Anyway, one of my fellow teachers spoke up and said, "I don't have this problem." I said what do you mean? Your kids don't ask you millions of silly questions everyday? She said "No, I have a rule." She said her rule is "Ask 3 before me." She requires her students to ask three other students before asking her any question.

I'm going to try this rule this year. I plan on making a big poster to remind students to "Ask three before me." It will probably take me a while to break the habit of answering every single question that is asked of me, but I'm going to give it my best shot!

5 comments:

Ricochet said...

SNOT

Self
Neighbor
Other
Teacher

Kim Hughey said...

I like that, Ricochet! The freshment would especially love that saying!

Jen @ lil Mop Top said...

That is a great rule to have! I was bad about just pretending I didn't hear when they ask me questions like 'Do we have a quiz today!' or 'Did we have homework last night?'. I like the snot saying too. :)

ER said...

I usually do two people, but I am going to try 3 this year. Hopefully the saying will help them!!! I am also going to have a binder for each class this year where all handouts will be be from the previous day. I am going to make it very clear they are not to ask me for things they missed from the day before.

Erin said...

I love this rule! While I was student teaching, I felt as if I was repeating myself all the time. My students said my most common phrase was "seriously, are you seriously asking me that again!" Hopefully, this year, this rule will help!

Follow Me!