Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Appointment Test Review

One of my good friends at school shared this test review activity with me. She says she always has great results and good student participation so I was eager to try it for myself.

It works like this. I had the kids draw a clock on their paper that looked like this.



I then had the entire class stand up and told them they would have 2 minutes to make 4 appointments. They needed to make a 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock appointment. They could not book the same person twice and they were to sit down as soon as they made all four appointments so I would know who was finished. In each class there were several who still needed appointments after everyone else was finished, so I just told them I'd place them with a group for the appointment that they were blank on.

After their appointments were made, their clock looked like this.




After everyone was seated, I instructed the students to go and meet their 3:00 appointment and work problems 1-8 on the test review. They could work anywhere inside the room. Most just pushed desks together and worked like this.



After about 10 minutes, I called time and told the students to meet their 9:00 appointment to do problems 9-18. We continued this process until the reivew was either finished or we ran out of time. The kids had a blast and asked if we could do it again sometime. I really enjoyed seeing the 100% engagement and most of the students were great about helping each other and not just giving answers.

3 comments:

Mister Teacher said...

That's funny. We had to make appointments on a clock just like that at a district staff development that I went to 2 years ago.

The teacher that I made my 3 o'clock appointment with is now my wife. :)

Ricochet said...

Did it turn into a popularity contest?

Were there some who were shunned?

I can see that happening, so I am curious.

Mrs. G said...

I tried this review with my 8th grade Algebra I students - it was great! Usually whtn my students get a review - they talk all period. This time they were working hard to complete the review.

I didn't notice that some were shunned. There were a few mix-ups (not following directions) and I just assigned those clock partners.

Thanks for sharing this!

Follow Me!